20170521 - Weekly News

Current and past editions

20170521 - Weekly News

Postby Joan » Sat May 20, 2017 3:53 pm

HiltonHead Island Computer Club Presentation
Monday, May 22, 2017 from 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
HHICC Facebook Primer

Presented by Suzi Huisman

Welcome to Facebook. During this presentation you will learn everything from signing up to logging off, and most things in between. If you already have a Facebook account but aren't really sure what to do with it, this will help.

Event is limited to 60 people.

PLEASE CLICK HERE TO REGISTER

All Things Images Education Special Interest Group
Tuesday, May 23rd, 4:00 PM - Led by Jolyn Bowler

Please note: This will be the last ATI SIG until September. But remember, you are always welcome to email with questions or drop into the Resource Center over the Summer with your questions and issues. What questions do you have about your photos? ~ Where are my photo files? ~ How do I use the cloud to backup? ~ Or something else entirely? Join the discussion . .. bring your questions & answers, problems & solutions to this Special Interest Group for our discussion on All Things Images. Please join Jolyn at the Resource Center for this session & please let her know you will attend. Send an email to jolyn.bowler@gmail.com

Did a mysterious Lost & Found folder just appear on your Mac? It could mean trouble
By Glenn Fleishman, Senior Contributor - Macworld - MAY 18, 2017

If you can't empty that folder, beware!

Joseph Pierpoint discovered a folder in his Trash labeled “Lost & Found.” When he opened it, he found it contained over 50,000 files. Worse, “Any attempts to send these files to the Trash are thwarted by interruptions that state that this kind of solution is infeasible for one reason or another.”
The Lost & Found folder relates to a low-level Unix filesystem-recovery utility. When fsck (filesystem check) runs, it looks not just at files that appear properly referenced in a filesystem’s directory, but also at anything it finds that looks like a file but isn’t appropriately noted in that record structure. In Unix, it stores these recovered bits in a folder named lost+found. macOS exposes recovered files in Lost & Found, and drops it in the Trash because these items typically aren’t useful, but it doesn’t delete them in case a user wants to examine what was recovered.
The “journaled” part of Apple’s HFS+ Journaled disk partition type refers to tracking and recording changes so that they can be applied later if there’s a failure while they’re being made directly. In this case, it’s macOS updating the HFS+ directory. If something goes wrong while that’s happening, before the Journaled format, if you’re as old as I am, you might recall having to run repair operations that could take tens of minutes or hours to rebuild directory structures. Journaling largely prevents that.
However, after a crash or a forced reboot, macOS (like most Unix and Unix-variant systems) runs fsck at startup. Any files it finds as pieces that aren’t referenced in the filesystem’s index, it drops into lost+found. Files being in that folder don’t necessarily mean your drive is in trouble, but it’s not great news, either. Being unable to delete Lost & Found in the Trash also could mean something’s wrong.
I’d suggest first restarting a Mac and trying to empty the Trash again. If that fails, follow these steps.

READ MORE HERE

WannaCry ransomware: Everything you need to know - submitted by Jolyn Bowler
By Ian Sherr - CNET Security - May 18, 2017

One of the largest cyberattacks ever is currently eating the web, hitting PCs in countries and businesses around the world.

You've heard the phrase "the road to Hell is paved with good intentions," right?
Well, a vulnerability first uncovered by the National Security Agency and then released by hackers on the internet is now being used in one of the most prolific cyberattacks ever around the globe.
It's called WannaCry, and it's brought computer systems from Russia to China to the UK and the US to their knees, locking people out of their data and demanding they pay a ransom or lose everything. So far, more than 200,000 computers in 150 countries have been affected, with victims including hospitals, banks, telecommunications companies and warehouses.
Here's everything you could want to know about WannaCry.

What is WannaCry?

It's the name for a prolific hacking attack known as "ransomware," that holds your computer hostage until you pay a ransom.
The way it works is that once it infects a computer, it encrypts -- or basically scrambles -- all the data. Then the program puts up a screen demanding you pay money to get access back. Typically the price increases over time until the end of a countdown, when the files are destroyed.

What do I do if my computer is infected?

So far, there doesn't appear to be a way to fix WannaCry.
Shortly after WannaCry began to spread, a security researcher accidentally found a kill switch that appeared to stop WannaCry in its tracks. But hackers have since made a fix, and this time there doesn't appear to be any way to stop it. It also has a new name Uiwix, according to researchers at Heimdal Security.
Another diabolical twist is if the ransom isn't paid in 72 hours, the price could double. And after a few days, the files are permanently locked.

Jolyn also urges members: Basically, if anyone is using Windows XP, they need to stop as soon as possible. They MUST do the latest (last weekend) Windows update which is a patch to the extreme vulnerability of XP. Then, they need to stop using XP online as it is absolutely not safe anymore.
With any other later version of Windows (7, 8/8.1, 10) they should just make sure all updates have been done.

PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information and tips on how to keep safe.

Sorry, Apple Photos, but I'm leaving you for Google Photos - sybmitted by Jack Wilfore
By Raymond Wong - Mashable Tech - May 18, 2017

When Google Photos launched two years ago, I installed it for one very simple reason: to backup all of my photos and videos to the cloud. It was a second home screen app on my iPhone, not yet worthy of being on my main home screen with Apple Photos.
Sometime in the last few months it snuck its way onto my main home screen. I'm not sure when it happened, but it did. And lately as I've fallen more in love with its growing features and intelligence, I've been wondering why I even need two photos apps on my home screen.
I don't.
One is enough and I'm finally ready to make it my default photos app. And here's why you should too.

CLICK HERE to read more.

Chromebook (Chrome OS) for Beginners​​​ - H2TechVideos​​​ - submitted by Jolyn Bowler

Master the Chromebook learning curve.

CLICK HERE to view a helpful 27 minute Chromebook tutorial.

Is Microsoft to blame for the largest ransomware attacks in internet history?
by Russell Brandom -The Verge - May 15, 2017
When software outruns hardware

Friday saw the largest global ransomware attack in internet history, and the world did not handle it well. We’re only beginning to calculate the damage inflicted by the WannaCry program — in both dollars and lives lost from hospital downtime — but at the same time, we’re also calculating blame.

There’s a long list of parties responsible, including the criminals, the NSA, and the victims themselves — but the most controversial has been Microsoft itself. The attack exploited a Windows networking protocol to spread within networks, and while Microsoft released a patch nearly two months ago, it’s become painfully clear that patch didn’t reach all users. Microsoft was following the best practices for security and still left hundreds of thousands of computers vulnerable, with dire consequences. Was it good enough?
For some, the answer is an obvious no. Writing in The New York Times over the weekend, sociologist Zeynep Tufecki placed the blame squarely on Microsoft for its decision to stop supporting older Windows versions. “Companies like Microsoft should discard the idea that they can abandon people using older software,” Tufecki wrote. “Industry norms are lousy to horrible, and it is reasonable to expect a company with a dominant market position, that made so much money selling software that runs critical infrastructure, to do more.”
ZDNet was even harsher. “The real problem here is that for decades the IT industry as a whole has been selling rubbish products,” a post argued. “It's become fabulously wealthy by making products that are broken to begin with, and often, directly or indirectly, charging customers to fix them.”

CLICK HERE to read more.

Tech support scams persist with increasingly crafty techniques
Microsoft Malware Protection

Millions of users continue to encounter technical support scams. Data from Windows Defender SmartScreen (which is used by both Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer to block malicious sites) and Windows Defender Antivirus show that some three million users are subjected to these threats every month.
In addition to being rampant, technical support scams continue to evolve, employing more and more complex social engineering tactics that can increase panic and create a false sense of legitimacy or urgency in an effort to get more victims.
Given the sheer volume of tech support scams and the pace at which they evolve, here at Microsoft we take a holistic approach to this problem. We monitor the threat landscape for patterns and variations in threat behavior. Using intelligence from sensors, we employ machine learning models to deliver cloud-based protection against the latest tech support scams, whether they take the form of web pages with malicious scripts or Trojans that run on computers.
In 2016, the threat of support scam was most felt in the United States, which saw 58% of encounters. United Kingdom, Canada, and Australia follow, with 13%, 11%, and 8% of encounters, respectively. Notably, significant encounters were also registered in France and Spain, where we saw localized technical support scam attacks.

CLICK HERE to learn more.

Google has 2 billion users on Android, 500M on Google Photos - submitted by Jack Wilfore

Onstage at Google I/O in Mountain View, CEO Sundar Pichai announced that earlier this week the company surpassed 2 billion monthly active users on the Android platform, continuing its reign as the world’s most popular mobile operating system.
The company has added nearly 400 million users to its mobile operating system since September of 2015 when it last gave an update. By comparison, Apple announced in January of last year that there are 1 billion devices running iOS.
Pichai also detailed that the company has quickly grown its Google Photos platform. Google has been tweaking the service constantly, and is continuing to see some major traffic on the platform. The product now has over 500 million monthly active users that upload 1.2 billion photos onto the service every day.
A lot of numbers are being voiced in the billions today, Google currently has seven unique products with over one billion monthly active users each.

READ ORIGINAL POST HERE.

If we show you how to back up your PC for free, will you finally do it?
By Marco Chiappetta and Lincoln Spector - PCWorld, January 24, 2017

If we show you how to back up your PC for free, will you finally do it? Beyond simple hard drive failure, your PC could fall prey to user error, thieves, and all sorts of nefarious malware. The only way to ensure that none of your personal files or programs are lost in a catastrophe is to back up everything regularly.

Creating Windows images with System Backup

Windows’ built-in imaging tool creates a backup of everything on your drive, including Windows itself and your settings, programs, and data. Image backup is the best way to protect your Windows installation. Windows’ built-in tool is nowhere near as comprehensive as some premium solutions, but for maintaining a personal computer, it’s acceptable.

CLICK HERE to read more.

PLEASE NOTE: This is the final issue of Weekly News for the summer. Publication resumes September 3rd.
The Senior Center and Resource Center will be closed on Monday, May 29th, for the Memorial Day holiday. Regular hours resume on Tuesday, May 30.
We will also be closed on Monday, July 3, and Tuesday, July 4.
SIGs, Presentations, and Classes will not be held during the summer, but help is always available at the Resource Center, Monday thru Friday, from 10 AM to 4 PM.

ENJOY THE SUMMER!

CLUB RESOURCES

ALL THINGS APPLE HELP AT THE COMPUTER CLUB

Every Monday morning and Wednesday and Thursday afternoons, a Mac member is at the Resource Center to answer your questions and help you through any issues.
You can also use the iMac computer, bring your laptop, or just come in to get information.
If you have any questions, contact Judi Shade at shade@hargray.com.

,Assistance with Tablets

Resource Center volunteers are available to help members with their tablets:

iPad on Monday mornings (Judi Shade, Frank Sullivan and Ed Cliff); Wednesday mornings (Wes Taylor and Karen Kemp); Wednesday afternoon (Judi Shade, Ken Carlozzi, Xavier Pereira, and Linda Jackson); Thursday afternoons (Bob Gentzler and Melnee Kasper)
Android on Tuesday afternoons (Jolyn Bowler)
Kindle Fire and e-Readers on Monday mornings (Ed Cliff)
Microsoft Surface: Monday afternoons (Norm Galloway);Thursday mornings (Bob Rathke); Friday mornings (Emory Logan)

Please call the Resource Center (842-4475) to verify the volunteer you wish to consult is on duty that day.

Resource Center Substitutes!

Please consider adding your name to our Resource Center Substitute List. The Resource Center is open M-F, in two shifts, 10 AM-1 PM & 1-4 PM, with two volunteers per shift. You would be with a regular volunteer, helping members, and learning along the way. In addition, we will be instituting a training session so that you'll be able to hit the ground running. If you are interested, even if you only have one day of the week when you might be available, please contact Linda Jackson at volunteercoordinator@hhicc.org.[hr][/hr
Joan
Board Member - Communications Weekly News

Return to HHICC Weekly News