Windows 10 Blue Screen

You can post your questions about the club here

Windows 10 Blue Screen

Postby CamHiggins » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:24 am

I have recently successfully upgraded 3 computers to Win 10 with little problems. On one of the computers howewver, I have begun getting a Blue Screen error "UNEXPECTED STORE EXCEPTION" that comes up each time when the computer is turned on from a cold start and is followed by some Windows processing before bringing the system up normally. This appears to be a problem that has been around for a while, but I can't seem to find a solution. Any suggestions?
CamHiggins
Member Has Posted > 10 Times

Re: Windows 10 Blue Screen

Postby rrathke » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:43 pm

Most often Blue Screen errors are HARDWARE. You can look up the stop code displayed on the Microsoft site for a description of the error.
rrathke
Board Member - Technical Director

Postby Jolyn » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:24 pm

Cam, is it a blue screen like our old "blue screen of death"? or could it be a blue screen for the"STORE" App trying to sign in to your Microsoft account.
Bob is right too, tho. I could be a hardware issue.
Jolyn
Board Member - Product Review

Postby CamHiggins » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:06 pm

First of all, thanks you both for responding and so quickly. I can't understand why this means of discussing problems is no longer being used. I am responsible for 10 of the 33 messages over the last 4 or 5 years. Thanks.

The Blue Screen is referenced in explorations as a BS of D. Queries to Microsoft show that it has been around for almost a year, and also have recorded a number of them associated with th HP Pavilion g6 model. MS also indicates it may relate to an antivirus program (McAfee etc) and suggests removing the package and reinstalling it as a solution. My only similar program is Windows Defender, although I sometimes run a malware program. Widows 10 has a Partner Program which does an analysis which uncovers 3000 problems a virus and implies a solution to this problem. While MS says the program can be run and fixed free for a limited time, the offer is obscured by the insistence of have a valid credit card, a reduced payment of about $30 for 3 machines and 3 months, with the understanding auto renewals will be about $50 for each 3 month renewal. (with appropriate notification allowing cancellation.) There is no way I would let this go beyond 3 months, but I strongly dislike this marketing approach. The name of the Partner package is Tweakbit PCRepairkit, a name that does not instill confidence.

I am not sure this has been helpful as an explanation of the problem, but it does tell you a bit of what I have done so far.

Thanks again for your interest.
CamHiggins

Postby Jolyn » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:14 pm

I agree with you Cam. I just don't think we have done a very good job of training our volunteers or sharing this resource with our members and teaching them how to use it. A few of us are working on revamping and upgrading our Bulletin Board. I ALWAYS get a message (because I asked for it) when someone posts a question. I'm glad it has worked for you.

I thought it might be the ol' BS of D.... I've used Windows Defender (or it's other incarnation Microsoft Security Essentials) since 2007 along with Malwarebytes and although I've been hit a few times, nothing has ever gotten through. I've been happy with this "security". I would hesitate to use Tweakbit PCRepairkit. I've read a few reviews and it appears to mostly be a system optimizer. It may also "fix windows issues".

Have you checked with HP regarding the issue? Could it be an HP update is needed for the HP Pavilion? Did you upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1? I know for my Pavilion running Windows 7, there are HP updates I must do before upgrading to Windows 10. I will dig a bit on my resource sites and see if I can find other answers or software that might work. I never trust those "free for a time" offers that ask for your credit card up front!
Jolyn

Postby Jolyn » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:17 pm

Just found some info about Tweakbit. Granted it's from a different "cleaner" software, but....

What Are The Problems With TweakBit FixMyPC?

1. TweakBit FixMyPC has no Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox or Opera browser tools to remove unwanted toolbars or fix search engine redirects.
2. TweakBit FixMyPC has no error fix guarantee.
3. TweakBit FixMyPC has no guarantee that it will speed up your PC.
4. TweakBit doesn’t say if any free support is included with the software.
5. TweakBit FixMyPC doesn’t include a registry defragmenter to optimize your registry after cleaning it.
6. TweakBit FixMyPC doesn’t include a startup manager to stop unwanted programs from running at startup.
7. TweakBit FixMyPC doesn’t have any positive reviews from well known reviewers.
8. TweakBit FixMyPC includes a phone number with the software, but this is a “Premium” tech support number where technicians attempt to upsell customers into PC support services that cost $100+.
9. TweakBit has as of the date of writing this 5 Facebook fans. A companies fans or followers on social media sites in comparison to its competitors can be a good indication of how much people like or don’t like their products. In this case most of their competitors have 100,000+ fans.
What’s the Biggest Problem with TweakBit FixMyPC?

According to comments on other review sites users allege that TweakBit FixMyPC doesn’t fix their computer problems and sometimes causes new problems on your PC. Customers allege that when they contact TweakBit they are told they must spend $100+ for tech support services in order to fix the problems TweakBit FixMyPC failed to fix.
Unfortunately this poor support is becoming a more common practice with software companies.
Jolyn

Postby CamHiggins » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:37 pm

HP Pavilion Warranty expired in 2012. Windows was 7.1. Seldom had any problems with HP, except on another HP computer the automatic HP maintenance never functioned correctly. (Not on this PC ) I tried to get support from HP on this problem but I am not sure that I made the right contacts. I got no help. Some investigating with MS suggested that the approach of getting the corresponding error code might reveal a correction procedure that would lead to a process witch would involve manually modifying the register. They cautioned not to do this unless you were qualified to do this. Failure to do it correctly would cause more serious problems . This would be above my pay grade. I just removed Tweak and appreciate your comments. One thing just happened...I originally thought this only happened when the computer was coming up from a cold start, I now realize that when the computer is idle for a while, it shuts down, and when you try to reactivate the BSofD reappears.
CamHiggins

Postby Jolyn » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:40 pm

Cam, have you tried going to HP Support website and looking for updates under your devices Service Tag No?
Also, I actually found updates from HP before updating my HP refurbished 8.1 & and the Windows 7. Different hardware, different updates.
Neither system are under warranty any longer.
Also, if you look for HP forums, you may find others who've had the same problem and found solutions.
Jolyn

Postby CamHiggins » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:25 am

Good Idea. Will try later today and let you know. Thanks.
CamHiggins

Postby CamHiggins » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:10 pm

I checked Windows and found all updates were up to date,

Then I ran Malwarebytes (free) and it found 10 PUPs. 3 from Tweakbit including one in the Registry, and others for Slimwear, Spigot and Slick Savings. No big deal,but thought it was good to get that out of the way. Afterward checked restarting the computer several times and lo and behold, the Blue Screen disappeared. This may be the end of it, but I continue to plan to contact HP and check that approach out. I thank you again for your help. You can consider the problem solved, and I'll let you know what i find out from HP.
CamHiggins

Next

Return to Member Questions