BACK UP C: PARTITION ONLY

You can post your questions about the club here

BACK UP C: PARTITION ONLY

Postby DANSY » Sun May 22, 2011 1:00 pm

In an effort to move to a 160GB SSD, I embarked on an effort to reduce the size of my operating system(moved large files>pictures, video etc to a separate physical drive. Then (following published instructions) I basically got rid of the 13GB "hidden recovery partition" ( perhaps the name is not 100%accurate). So now on this Drive 0 (279.46 GB) I have the following configuration. New Volume (I:) 13GB NTFS 99%free(system volume info folder); OS(C:) 142.6 GB NTFS 58% free;
TEMP FILES (Z:) 123.86 GB NTFS 100% FREE ($RECYCLE BIN, SYSTEM VOLUME INFO; folders) arranged in this order from left to right in DISC MANAGEMENT. Using windows ISO back up I get an error message that back up will not fit on my 160 GB (149 GB capacity) SSD.
I think what is happening is that the win 7 ISO back( I have win 7 home premium on this cpu) up is making a disc image of the whole 279.4 GB hard drive ( I think this is what the program does as a matter of course). So it appears that somehow I need an ISO back up program ( or a cloning program??) that will only create an ISO of the operating system partition. If such a program exists then I can load this on the new SSD and will achieve a partition on the new SSD of the operating system and is 142.6 GB in size. Then I could extend this partiton to take up the size of the wholde SSD and get to use all of the 149 GB for my operating system and immediate storage.
Can I achieve what I am trying to do. I am willing to spend a few $ to purchase a program which will do what I am attempting.
Thanks in advance for any help and recommendations you can give me
Dan Y
DANSY
Member Has Posted > 10 Times

Re: BACK UP C: PARTITION ONLY

Postby Jolyn » Sun May 22, 2011 10:25 pm

well, the "hidden recovery partition" is there for a reason. should your system ever go down, that drive is used to restore your computer to factory settings. so i'm not sure why you would delete that in the first place. if you split up the files in the operating system, it will be hard for windows to find what it needs as it looks to the C: drive where all is originally installed. I do not know enough to set you right on undoing what you have done nor to continue to do what you are trying to accomplish. Maybe Bob can be of help on this one. Good luck ....
Jolyn
Board Member - Product Review

Postby DANSY » Mon May 23, 2011 2:07 pm

Thanks Jolyn for taking the time to provide your thoughts. The reason for deleting the hidden partiton is to free up the 13 GB of space on my planned use of the SSD.
DANSY

Postby Jolyn » Mon May 23, 2011 3:40 pm

I understand you wanted more space on your HD/SSD, but you will now have to go through "hoops" should you ever need to restore your system. Also, did you actually move parts of the operating system to other drives so that it is not all on the C drive? Again, Windows looks to C drive for all it's files and function. All that information is saved in the Registry so if Windows starts looking for something and doesn't work, it's because it can no longer find what it is looking for in the original location. Hope you are able to accomplish what you re trying to do, but I'm a bit confused..... ;-{
jolyn
Jolyn

Postby DANSY » Mon May 23, 2011 7:36 pm

Sorry for the confusion. My operating system(win7) and all installed programs still reside on C:. I moved pictures, music, videos and other data folders "mostly" t o another separate drive. Stuff I am currently using in these categories, I kept on C: . I appreciate your caution but the current configuration on the larger 300GB rotating hard drive is operating satisfactorily and so far restoring from a windows 7 ISO back up works to this drive ( as far as I remember without detailed checking of my past notes regarding restores from this specific back up image). What I am now trying to do is to create an ISO file that fits on the 149GB SSD. I have seen some back up programs use the term "Creates an ISO of the operating system partition" but before buying I am trying to make sure it does exactly what these words say as I "think" that would do what I am trying to do.
You are right that I can't use the system restore function of the hidden partition, however, before I deleted it and turned it into a simple partition, I did make an updated recovey disk as advised in the instructions I was following.
Again thanks for your inputs. If I succeed then you can sure I will get back to you with the details.
DANSY

Postby Jolyn » Wed May 25, 2011 7:48 am

My only concern regarding the recovery partition is.... that is where ALL the information needed to do a system recover is located. At least on many systems. The disc you created is actually just a boot disk, but all ... ALL the system programs are stored on the partition. Should you need to redo your operating system, you may have to purchase a full "re-install" disk from Dell. My suggestion is to contact Dell and ask them directly (or if not a Dell system, contact the manufacturer's support department) and ask them the specific process for system recovery on your system....

;-}
jolyn
Jolyn

Postby DANSY » Wed May 25, 2011 7:54 am

Thanks for the additonal info, each time I learn something, I thought only the OS and needed hardware configuration drivers was contained on the recovery partition; not all the installed programs that came with the OEM CPU.
Thanks for the info
Dan Y
DANSY

Return to Member Questions