EXTENDING AN EXISTING HOME NETWORK

You can post your questions about the club here

EXTENDING AN EXISTING HOME NETWORK

Postby DANSY » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:57 pm

Currently I have a d-link wired/wireless(n) router network working with hard wired cpu's and wireless netbook and e-reader. The farthest reaches of my house is out of reach of both wireless and wired connections. I would like to extend coverage using a Netgear 8 port desktop switch(GS108) and an ASUS multi-functional wireless AP (WL-330 gE). I would like to find someone with more experience/knowledge to discuss my plans/configuration and possibly answer some of my configuration/addressing/IP settings questions. I am currently reading available "manuals" and already have several basic questions regarding interconnecting these devices. I have a sketch of my current and planned configuration and willing to travel to the resource center or other convenient location to get any help I can.
DANSY
DANSY
Member Has Posted > 10 Times

Re: EXTENDING AN EXISTING HOME NETWORK

Postby rrathke » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:38 pm

The wireless router needs to be the first box off the ISP (Hargray/TimeWarner) and be set up to be a DHCP server to assign IP addresses to the devices.The 8 port switch could then be plugged into one of the ports to the router and drive all the devices plugged into it. You need a wireless extender/repeater to bridge the distance and I would HIGH RECOMMEND using the same manafacturer as the router. Long experience has proven to me that you get into trouble more often mixing different brands of wireless equiptment in this situation. So in your case the D-Link DAP-1360 or similar would fit the need.

Hope this helps.
rrathke
Board Member - Technical Director

Postby DANSY » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:04 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply. I took your suggestion and am returning the ASUS device and have on order a netgear access point device. Perhaps you can help with this question. ALthough this is not the only way, for me I ended up with assingning fixed ip addresses to all my devices on the wired and wireless networks.Everything works fine on this existing network; so I would like to keep things this way if possible. In effect I would be interposing the 8 port desktop switch between some of these wired connections (one port to an existing router port) and other ports to user devices. I look at the on line manual and it says the AP device has default settings and you don't need to configure any settings to use it; and shows a default value list: DHCP MODE>ENABLED, IP ADDRESS> 192.168.0.239, SUBNET MASK 255.255.255.0 (OK WITH THIS) AND GATEWAY ADDRESS>192.168.0.254. This is where I get confused. These values seem to be outside of the range in one of the settings in my existing router and does the AP unit just pass through device IP's that are connected to it or does it have its own IP address(either assigned or static) and then passes thru the connected device IP's; or does it have an IP address and all connected devices must also get(assigned) or can use a static address.
I have not got this device yet ( in transit) so perhaps the info it comes with will help me; as you can see I don't quite understand how this simple switch device works in a network. So if you have any words of wisdom for me I would be very appreciative. Thanks in advance for your help
DANSY
DANSY

Postby rrathke » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:19 am

I would have to read the manual on the extender to answer specifically. However as a matter of practice I do not use static IP addresses in this situation. The switch is just a pass through device and does not actually do any routing and therefore has no IP connectivity issues. The router and the extender however a actually both routers and the IP configuration is critical to it's success. If you take the factory default settings of both devices, DHCP enabled, they will probably install easily and work. If you use static IP addressing the you will have to configure EVERYTHING yourself and it's very easy to miss something. Without having the manual on the extender I can't speak to the details but it is actually a sub router to the main router and both devices need to know about each other to pass the data to the right device. In DHCP mode the DHCP Server will assign the IP addresses and set up the routing tables automatically. There is seldom a reason to use static IP addresses with today's devices. In summary if you let the "intellegent" devices work with each other as designed they will self configure and you don't need to know all the intricate details of routing which can be confusing. Hope this helps.
rrathke
Board Member - Technical Director

Postby DANSY » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:39 am

Well thanks again for sharing your knowledge with me. I will take your advice and try the set up with DHCP enabled and see how it things go. Again thanks for your efforts
DANSY
DANSY

Return to Member Questions