Enable Optical Drives XP

You can post your questions about the club here

Enable Optical Drives XP

Postby CamHiggins » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:13 pm

My problem for today centers around the fact that both of my optical drives are marked Disabled (My Computer>Optical Drive>Properties>Hardware>
DLA Enabled>Disc Disabled) In Researching how to correct this problem (XP) I camea cross a "DOS" command ENABLE but this does seem appropriate in this case. In krmpeters ineresting presentation "CD and DVD Burning Workshop 2007" there is an interesting link (page 47) to a procedure involving modifying Properies in such a way that it results in uninstalling and reinstalling the drive during a restart - forcing Windows to recognize the drive properly. Can someone tell me how to make the change in properties that will give me the desired result?

Cam Higgins
CamHiggins
Member Has Posted > 10 Times

Re: Enable Optical Drives XP

Postby CamHiggins » Tue May 11, 2010 4:34 pm

Today is the day for cleaning up old questions. It is not surprising that there were no answers to the original post. It took over a year to resolve this problem, and during this tyiome I learned a lot about the problem First of all, the drives were not totlaly disabled except for Roxio software. Othe software was able to rerad and write to the drives. Thde problem arose when IE8 was dowloaded and advised that a potential conflict with my installed Roxio software mighy resulot in a crassh of IE8. What I eventually concluded was that they somehow crated a disabling block on the drives that could not be overridden. Deinstallong IE8 did not fix the problem. Reinstalling the Roxio in itself did not solve the problem, but sometime later it disappeared (as long as I did not allow IE7 to be updated. Subsequently the Roxio software has been updated (Creator 10). In any case this problem can be put to bed.
CamHiggins
Member Has Posted > 10 Times

Return to Member Questions